About Shock Wave and Space Propulsion Laboratory
We aim for innovations in aero/astronautics and propulsion with understanding physics of shock waves and plasma/high-enthalpy flows.
The interaction between shock wave and turbulent flow causes mutually complex phenomena including local intensity modulation of interfering shock wave and increase of turbulence fluctuations. This phenomenon is practically important because it leads to noise reduction and noise prediction accuracy improvement for the sonic boom that occurs in supersonic flight.
In present experimental investigation, we carried out interaction between planar shock (Ms = 1.04) and grid turbulence (Mt = 0.006 – 0.024, representative value) using a counter-driver shock tube (Details in ref. ) that uniquely developed in this lab. An interaction length between shock and turbulence was also controlled. In images obtained by optical visualization, even for grid turbulence with the same turbulent Mach number, the deformation of the shock wave becomes extreme with increasing the interaction length. When the turbulent Mach number is large and the interaction length is long, the state of the “broken” shock profile, which is proposed by numerical simulation (DNS), was confirmed. In experimental research, this is the first time to observe the “Broken” profile of normal shock and reveal the practical importance of the interaction length between shock and turbulence. We expect that obtained fundamental knowledge in this experimental research will contribute to the understanding of sonic boom and other problems related to supersonic flow. T. Tamba et al., Shock waves, vol. 25, pp. 667-674, 2015
Stop Rotation of Debris by Laser Ablation
- Publication updated.
- An article written by Manabu Myokan et al. was published on AIAA journal． (detail)
Repetitive Energy Deposition at a Supersonic Intake in Subcritical and Buzz Modes
- Publication updated．
- An article written by Takahiro Tamba et al. was published on Physical Review Fluids．(detail)
Experimental investigation of the interaction of a weak planar shock with grid turbulence in a counter-driver shock tube
- An article written by Yusuke Katagiri et al. was published on Physica Scripta．(detail)
Sunflower Effect: Enhancement of laser-pulse-induced impulse in the beam incident direction due to surface undulation
- Manabu Myokan(M2) was awarded Chubu branch student award at 55th JSASS Chubu and Kansai branch joint symposium．
|Manabu Myokan, Wu Yen Lin, Akiya Kubota, Akira Iwakawa, Akihiro Sasoh||エネルギー付加による超音速インテイク性能の向上|
- Publication updated．
- An article written by Akihiro Sasoh et al. was published on Acta Astronautica．(detail)
Electrostatic-magnetic-hybrid thrust generation in central–cathode electrostatic thruster (CC–EST)
- An article written by Hayato Kasuga et al. was published on TRANSACTIONS OF THE JAPAN SOCIETY FOR AERONAUTICAL AND SPACE SCIENCES, AEROSPACE TECHNOLOGY JAPAN.
Title Operation Characteristics of Applied-Field Magnetoplasmadynamics Thruster Using Hollow Cathode(detail)
- An article written by H.S.Pham et al. was published on AIAA Journal.
Title Effect of Repetitive Laser Energy Deposition on Supersonic Duct Flows(detail)
- Personnel updated!
- An article written by Akira Iwakawa et al. was published on Transactions of The Japan Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences.
Title Mach-number Effect on Supersonic Drag Reduction using Repetitive Laser Energy Depositions over Blunt-Body(detail)
- An article written by Daisuke Ichihara et al. was published on Journal of Applied Physics.
Title Effects of magnetic field profile near anode on ion acceleration characteristics of a diverging magnetic field electrostatic thruster(detail)
- An article written by Daisuke Ichihara et al. was published on Acta Astronautica.
Title Power matching between plasma generation and electrostatic acceleration in helicon electrostatic thruster(detail)
- An article written by H. S. Pham et al. was published on AIAA Journal.
Title Impacts of Laser Energy Deposition on Flow Instability over Double-Cone Model(detail)
- An article written by Akihiro Sasoh et al. was published on AIP advances.
Title Electrostatic/magnetic ion acceleration through a slowly diverging magnetic nozzle between a ring anode and an on-axis hollow cathode(detail)
- Takahiro Tamba(D3) was awarded Japan Explosion Society Award 2016.
Title Mathematical model of interaction between blast wave and turbulent flow Journal Field experiment of blast wave pressure modulation past a turbulent flow (Detail)